Steps to prepare the SD card for PetaLinux SD card ext file system boot as are follows:
For more information on how to format and partition the SD card, see Partitioning and Formatting an SD Card.
- The SD card is formatted with two partitions using a partition editor such as gparted.
- The first partition should be at least 500 MB in size and formatted as a FAT32 file system. Ensure that there is 4 MB of free space preceding the partition. The first partition contains the boot loader, device tree, and kernel images. Label this partition as BOOT.
- The second partition should be formatted as an
ext4files system and can take up the remaining space on the SD card. This partition stores the system root file system. Label this partition as RootFS.
- Copy the files as follows:
- FAT partition:BOOT.BIN, boot.scr, and Image
- EXT partition: rootfs.tar.gz/rootfs.cpio.gz
For optimal performance ensure that the SD card partitions are 4 MB aligned.