- In the I/O Ports window, select individual I/O ports, groups of I/O ports, or interfaces.
- Use one of the following commands:
- In the I/O Ports window, right-click, and select Place I/O Ports in Area.
- In either the Package window or the Device window, right-click, and
select Place I/O Ports in Area.
The cursor turns into a cross symbol, which indicates that you can define a rectangle for port placement.
- In either the Package window or the Device window, draw a rectangle to define
the assignment area.
If you select more I/O Ports than fit in the defined area, the command is continued. The cursor continues to display as a cross to draw another area to place the remaining I/O ports until all of the I/O ports are placed, or you press Esc.Tip: The Vivado IDE assigns ports in the order that they appear in the I/O Ports window. You can adjust the assignment order by applying sorting techniques in the I/O Ports window prior to assignment.
The direction in which you draw the rectangle dictates the I/O ports assignment order. I/O ports are assigned from the inside pin of the first rectangle coordinate selected. Creative definition of the area rectangles can provide useful pinout configurations from a PCB routing perspective.
The following figure shows I/O ports placed in an area.
To place I/O Ports into a defined area: