The Compare Block Designs command enables you to compare two block designs (BD), and generates a report showing the differences between the two BDs (in a diff report). This feature is useful in revision control systems to quickly compare and determine what has changed between two block designs; for example, between a block design that is under source control and a block design that you have checked out. The compare operation generates either a text report or an HTML report. If you choose HTML format, the generated report opens in a web browser window.
To compare two block designs:
The Compare Block Design dialog box opens.
, as shown in the following figure.
- In the First block design drop-down field, specify the name of the first block design to compare. This can be in the local project directory or in a location outside of the current project.
- In the Second block design drop-down field, specify the second block design file. This can be in the local project directory or in a location outside of the current project.
- In the Output file field, you can leave the default value, or browse to a folder, and specify a name for the diff file.
- From the Format drop-down menu, select HTML or Text for output file format.
- Click OK to generate the file.
If you selected HTML format, the generated HTML report file opens in the default web browser, as shown in the following figure.
Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers do not open the HTML report by default. After the HTML report file is generated, you can manually open the report file in these web browsers.
If you selected Text format, the generated text report file opens in the text editor, as shown in the following figure.