Power constraints define the settings needed for accurate power analysis. These settings include:
- Operating conditions such as voltage settings, power and current budgets, and operating environment details.
- Switching activity rates for:
- Design objects: individual nets and pins.
- Design object types such as block RAMs, DSPs, and transceivers.
- Global set and reset signals.
Vivado power analysis uses timing constraints to determine switching rates and applies vectorless propagation to determine toggle rates throughout the design. Without power constraints, a default 12.5% toggle rate is used. However, applying accurate switching activity to override defaults is essential for accurate power calculations.
For further information see the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Power Analysis and Optimization (UG907).