Selective upgrade of IP is available for IP that has already been generated in a previous Vivado version. The DCP of the non-upgraded IP is brought in as
LOCKED and un-modifiable. This feature lets you interact with a block design even if all IP are not upgraded, and lets you generate bitstreams even with some or all locked IPs (assuming the OOC DCPs for those locked IPs are available).
When you selectively upgrade IP, the Report IP Status window looks like in the following figure:
For more information on updating designs for a new release, see this link to the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Designing IP Subsystems Using IP Integrator (UG994). For information about upgrading IP in a block design (BD), see this link to the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Creating and Packaging Custom IP (UG1118) for information on editing a packaged BD.
Upgrading an IP in a design creates an Update log. These logs are available from the IP/ Upgrade Log folder in the Sources window.
This log contains information about the IP upgrade, such as:
- If the upgrade is successful
- If user intervention is required: If the upgraded IP requires user intervention, the log lists the issues encountered, such as parameters that no longer exist.
- The original version and revision of the IP
- The upgraded version and revision of the IP
- Additional information, as appropriate:
- A description of changes made by the upgrade script. Examples of such
"Renamed parameter DATA_W to C_DATA_WIDTH",and
"Set parameter BUFFER_LENGTH to value 32").
- Warnings issued during customization of the IP, such as ports added, changed, and removed during an upgrade.
- Warnings associated with the upgrade; either general issues relating to the upgraded version, or specific issues related to the current parameterization.
- Any warnings issued during an IP customization.
- A description of changes made by the upgrade script. Examples of such information are: