- In the Flow Navigator, right-click Simulation and then click Simulation
Settings. Alternatively, click Settings in the Flow Navigator under Project Manager to open
the Settings window. Select Simulation
from the Settings window. The following defaults are automatically set:
- Simulation set: select sim_1
- Simulation top-module name: set testbench
- In the Elaboration tab, as shown in the following figure, ensure that the
debug level is set to typical which is the default value.
- In the Simulation tab, observe that the Simulation Run Time is 1000ns.
- Click OK.
With the simulation settings properly configured, you can launch the Vivado simulator to perform a behavioral simulation of the design.
- In the Flow Navigator, click
Functional and timing simulations are available post-synthesis and post-implementation. Those simulations are outside the scope of this tutorial.
When you launch the Run Behavioral Simulation command, the Vivado tool runs
xvhdlto analyze the design and
xelabin the background to elaborate and compile the design into a simulation snapshot, which the Vivado simulator can run. When that process is complete, the Vivado tool launches
xsimto run the simulation.
In the Vivado IDE, the simulator GUI opens after successfully parsing and compiling the design as shown in the following figure. By default, the top-level HDL objects display in the Waveform window.
After you have created a Vivado® project for the tutorial design, you set up and launch Vivado® simulator to run behavioral simulation. Set the behavioral simulation properties in Vivado® tools: