The Xilinx LFSR block implements a Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR). This block supports both the Galois and Fibonacci structures using either the XOR or XNOR gate and allows a re-loadable input to change the current value of the register at any time. The LFSR output and re-loadable input can be configured as either serial or parallel ports.
|Port Name||Port Description||Port Type|
||Data input for re-loadable seed||Optional serial or parallel input|
||Load signal for din||Optional boolean input|
||Reset signal||Optional boolean input|
||Enable signal||Optional boolean input|
||Data output of LFSR||Required serial or parallel output|
As shown in the table above, there can be between 0 and 4 block input ports and exactly one output port. If the configuration selected requires 0 inputs, the LFSR is set up to start at a specified initial seed value and will step through a repeatable sequence of states determined by the LFSR structure type, gate type, and initial seed.
load ports provide the ability to change the current value of the LFSR
at runtime. After the load completes, the LFSR behaves as with the 0 input case, and
starts up a new sequence based upon the newly loaded seed, and the statically
configured LFSR options for structure and gate type.
rst port will reload the statically
specified initial seed of the LFSR and continue on as before after the
rst signal goes low. And when the optional
en port goes low, the LFSR will remain at its current
value with no change until the
en port goes high
The Block Parameters dialog box can be invoked by double-clicking the icon in your Simulink® model.
- Basic tab
- Parameters specific to the
Basic tab are as follows:
- Fibonacci or Galois. This field specifies the structure of the feedback. Fibonacci has one XOR (or XNOR) gate at the beginning of the register chain that XORs (or XNORs) the taps together with the result going into the first register. Galois has one XOR (or XNOR) gate for each tap and gates the last register in the chains output with the input to the register at that tap.
- Gate type
- XOR or XNOR. This field specifies the gate used by the feedback signals.
- Number of bits in LFSR
- This field specifies the number of registers in the LFSR chain. As a result, this number specifies the size of the input and output when selected to be parallel.
- Feedback polynomial
- This field specifies the tap points of the feedback chain and the value must be entered in hex with single quotes. The lsb of this polynomial always must be set to 1 and the msb is an implied 1 and is not specified in the hex input. Please see the Xilinx application note titled Efficient Shift Registers, LFSR Counters, and Long Pseudo- Random Sequence Generators for more information on how to specify this equation and for optimal settings for the maximum repeating sequence.
- Initial value
- This field specifies the initial seed value where the LFSR begins its repeating sequence. The initial value might not be all zeroes when choosing the XOR gate type and might not be all ones when choosing XNOR, as those values will stall the LFSR.
- Advanced tab
- Parameters specific to the Advanced tab are as follows:
- Use reloadable seed value
- This field specifies whether or not an input is needed to reload a dynamic LFSR seed value at run time.
- Parallel input
- This field specifies whether the reloadable input seed is shifted in one bit at a time or if it happens in parallel.
- Parallel output
- This field specifies whether all of the bits in the LFSR chain are connected to the output or just the last register in the chain (serial or parallel).
Other parameters used by this block are explained in the topic Common Options in Block Parameter Dialog Boxes.