A run strategy is a set of pre-configured command line options for the synthesis or implementation tools designed to resolve synthesis or implementation challenges in the design. The Vivado IDE provides several commonly used strategies that are tested against internal benchmarks. Strategies are tool and version specific.
You cannot change the command line settings for predefined Vivado IDE synthesis and implementation strategies. However, you can copy and modify supplied strategies to create your own custom strategies. You can use the Run Strategies settings to create custom strategies. To open the Settings dialog box, select, and then click the category.
The Vivado IDE writes the user-defined run strategies to:
To review, copy, and modify strategies:
- From the Flow drop-down menu, select a Vivado Synthesis or Vivado Implementation
A list of strategies and related command line options appear. For more information on command line options, see the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Synthesis (UG901) and Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Implementation (UG904).
- To create a new strategy, select Create Strategy from the popup menu or toolbar.
Note: Alternatively, you can create a copy of an existing strategy using Copy Strategy from the popup menu. The Vivado IDE creates a copy of the strategy in the User Defined Strategies list, and displays the command line options on the right side of the dialog box for you to modify.
- In the New Strategy dialog box (shown in the following figure), set the
following options, and click OK:
- Specifies the strategy name.
- Specifies whether the strategy applies to synthesis or implementation.
- Tool Version
- Specifies the Vivado Design Suite version.
- Provides the strategy description for display in the Design Runs window.
- Edit the options for the command line tools used during the synthesis or
implementation run as follows:
Tip: Click a command option to view a description of the option at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click the check box to enable or disable an option.
- Select a different value from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the appropriate text (for example, in the More Options field).
- Click Apply and OK to save the new
The new strategy is listed under User Defined Strategies and can be used for synthesis or implementation.