If violations are found, the DRC window opens. The DRC window displays the rule violations found, grouped under the various rule categories defined in the Run DRC dialog box.
The rule violations are categorized by severity and are color coded as follows:
- Provides general status and feedback on design processing.
- Indicates that design results might be sub-optimal, because constraints or specifications might not be applied as intended.
- Critical warning
- Indicates that certain user input or constraints will not be
applied or do not adhere to best practices. It is highly recommended that you
examine these issues and make changes.
Note: Critical warnings are promoted to errors during bitstream generation.
- Indicates an issue that renders design results unusable and
cannot be resolved without your intervention. The design flow stops.
Tip: To see only one message type, double-click the message type in the banner of the Messages window. For example, double-click errors to display only error messages.
You can list DRC violations individually or group violations by rule. To change the display, click the Group By Rule toolbar button . When violations are listed individually, you can click the header of the Severity column to sort violations by severity. To sort the column:
- Click the column header to sort data in the table in an increasing order.
- Click the column header again to sort the data in the table in a decreasing order. Note: For more information, see the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Using the Vivado IDE (UG893).
When you select a violation message in the DRC window, the objects associated with the violation are cross-selected in other open windows, such as the Netlist or Schematic windows. This lets you quickly locate and examine the elements of the design that are associated with a specific violation.
In addition, the violation properties are shown in the Violation Properties window by default. In the DRC window, you can also select Violation Properties from the right-click menu to open the Violation Properties window. The Violation Properties window shows both a General view of the DRC rule violation and specific Details of the design elements that violate the rule. The Details view includes links to specific design objects that violate the DRC. Click the links to view the design object in the Netlist window, the Device window, the Schematic window, or the source RTL file.