Now that you have created a Vivado Design Suite project for the tutorial design, you can set up and launch the Vivado simulator to run post-synthesis functional simulation. Simulation will generate a switching activity interchange format file (SAIF) that will enable you to do more accurate power estimation on your design.
- In the Flow Navigator, click Settings to open the Settings dialog box and set the simulation properties in the Simulation section.
- In the Simulation
section of Settings
dialog box, note that the following Simulation defaults are automatically set
for you based on the design files:
- Simulator language: Mixed
- Simulation set: sim_1
- Simulation top-module name: testbench
- In the Elaboration tab of the Simulation section, make sure the xsim.elaborate.debug_level is set to typical, which is the default value.
- In the Simulation tab, enter the SAIF file name as power_tutorial_func.saif for xsim.simulate.saif. Observe that the xsim.simulate.runtime is 1000 ns.
- Make sure to check the xsim.simulate.log_all_signals box.
- Click OK.
The simulation settings are now properly configured. You can launch the Vivado simulator to perform a post-synthesis functional simulation of the design.Note: The power reporting and analysis are not performed at the RTL level. They are performed at the netlist level.
- In the Flow Navigator, click
When you launch the Run Post-Synthesis Functional Simulation command, the Vivado simulator is invoked to run the simulation.
After the simulation completes, click x at the top right corner to close the simulation window.