In any C program, the top-level function is called
main(). In the Vitis HLS design flow, you can
specify any sub-function below
main() as the
top-level function for synthesis. You cannot
synthesize the top-level function
are additional rules:
- Only one function is allowed as the top-level function for synthesis.
- Any sub-functions in the hierarchy under the top-level function for synthesis are also synthesized.
- If you want to synthesize functions that are not in the hierarchy under the top-level function for synthesis, you must merge the functions into a single top-level function for synthesis.
C/C++ Language Support
Vitis HLS supports the C/C++ 11/14 for compilation/simulation. Vitis HLS supports many C and C++ language constructs, and all native data types for each language, including float and double types. However, synthesis is not supported for some constructs, including:
- Dynamic memory allocation: An FPGA has a fixed set of resources, and the dynamic creation and freeing of memory resources is not supported.
- Operating system (OS) operations: All data to and from the FPGA must be read from the input ports or written to output ports. OS operations, such as file read/write or OS queries like time and date, are not supported. Instead, the host application or test bench can perform these operations and pass the data into the function as function arguments.