The Vivado® device programmer feature enables you to directly program Xilinx® devices via JTAG. Vivado can also indirectly program select Flash-based configuration memory devices via JTAG. Do this by first programming the Xilinx FPGA device with a special configuration that provides a data path between JTAG and the Flash device interface followed by programming the configuration memory device contents using this data path.
The Vivado device configuration feature enables you to directly configure Xilinx Devices or Memory Devices using either Xilinx or Digilent cables. See Connecting to a Hardware Target Using hw_server for a list of appropriate cables. Operating in Boundary-Scan mode, Vivado can configure or program Xilinx Devices, and Configuration Memory Devices.
Refer to JTAG Cables and Devices Supported by hw_server for a complete list of configuration memory devices supported by Vivado.
To program and boot from a Configuration Memory Device in Vivado follow the steps below.
- Generate device images for use with configuration memory devices.
- Create a Configuration Memory File (.mcs or .bin).
- Connect to the Hardware target in Vivado.
- Add the configuration memory device.
- Program the configuration memory device using the Vivado IDE.
- Boot the Xilinx device (optional).