The RPU MPCore can operate in several modes.
- Dual-processor performance split mode
- Each RPU core operates independently
- Each RPU core has its own caches and TCMs
- Safety lock-step mode
- Both RPU cores execute the same code in lock-step, clock-for-clock
- The outputs from the lead RPU, core 0, are checked by core 1
- Discrepancies are flagged as a system error
- Single CPU mode
- If desired, RPU core 0 can be held in reset while core 1 runs normally with access to all 256 MBs of the TCM
The processor does not support dynamic configuration. Switching between the lock-step and dual-processor configurations is only permitted immediately after a processor reset.