Electrostatic discharge (ESD) can damage electronic components when they are improperly handled, and can result in total or intermittent failures. Always follow ESD prevention procedures when removing and replacing components. To prevent ESD damage:
- Use an ESD wrist or ankle strap and ensure that it makes skin contact. Connect the equipment end of the strap to an unpainted metal surface on the chassis.
- Avoid touching the card with your clothing. The wrist strap protects components from ESD on the body only.
- Handle the card by its bracket or edges only. Avoid touching the printed circuit board or the connectors.
- Put the card down only on an antistatic surface such as the bag supplied in your kit.
- If you are returning the card to Xilinx product support, place it back in its antistatic bag immediately.