Vivado has an extensive set of features to examine the design and device data from a number of perspectives. You can generate standard reports for power, timing, utilization, clocks, etc. With the Tcl API, the custom reporting capabilities in the Vivado tools are extensive.
- Click the Device window tab to bring it front to the screen.
- Run the
report_timing_summarycommand to analyze timing data.
- In the Report Timing Summary dialog, click OK to accept the default run options.
- Examine the information available in the Timing Summary window. Select the various categories from the tree on the left side of the Timing Summary window and examine the data displayed.
- Now run the
report_timingcommand to perform timing analysis.
- In the Report Timing dialog, click OK to accept the default run options.
- Collapse the bftClk tree in the Timing Checks – Setup window.
- Select the first path listed under the wbClk in the Setup area.
- Maximize or float the Path Properties window to look at the path details.
Check to ensure that the Device view tab is selected and displayed.
- Restore the Path Properties window by clicking the Restore button, or the Dock button, in the window banner.
- In the Timing – Report Timing window, right-click to open the popup menu and
select the Schematic command to open a Schematic window
for the selected path. Note: Alternatively, you can press the F4 function key to open the Schematic window.
- Double-click on a schematic object, such as on a cell, pin, or wire, to expand the schematic connections and traverse the design hierarchy.
- Close the Schematic window, or click the Device window tab to bring it to the front.
- In the Device window, check to ensure that the Routing Resources button is enabled to display the
detailed device routing. In some cases, you may need to select the path again.
Notice the Device window displays and highlights the routing for the selected path.
- Select the Auto-fit Selection button in the Device window toolbar menu to enable the Vivado IDE to automatically zoom into selected objects.
- Select some additional paths from the Timing results window.
- Examine the routing for the selected paths in the Device window.
- Expand the Reports main menu and examine the available analysis features.
- Run some of the available analysis commands: Report Power, Report Clock
Interaction, Report Clock Networks, Report Utilization, etc.
Many of these Design Analysis features are covered in other Vivado tutorials.