You can use the Text Editor settings to specify the text editor used by the Vivado IDE. If you select the Vivado Text Editor, you can also customize various options, which are not supported for third-party text editors. To open the Settings dialog box (shown in the previous figure), select Tools Settings, and then click the Text Editor category.
- Current Editor
- Sets the text editor used by the Vivado IDE. If you select the Vivado Text Editor, the following Vivado Editor General Settings and Vivado Editor Display Settings are also available.
- Vivado Editor General Settings
- Sets options that control code folding, line comments, column selection shortcuts, split views, the number of undo operations, and the number of recent files.
- Vivado Editor Display Settings
- Sets options that control the display of the file path at the top of the Vivado Text Editor, line numbers, and matches for the selected word.
- Code Completion
- Sets the preference for activating the code completion drop-down, whether using a shortcut key, displaying as you type, or disabling code completion. You can also set whether to use the Tab key or Space bar to select the displayed value.
- Syntax Checking
- Enables syntax checking and specifies whether to display warnings and notes. You can also specify the formatting for errors, warnings, and notes and view the formatting in the Preview window.
- Specifies whether to indent the line, whether to use the tab character instead of spaces, and how many spaces to use per tab.
- Fonts and Colors
- Specifies a display theme, which is a group of color
settings. You can choose from a default theme or create your own, as
described in Setting Display Themes. You can also set the font style, size,
and color for standard text (foreground) as well as the color for the
background, line highlighting, and matching words. You can view this
formatting in the Preview window.Note: You can also set the text styles and colors for different languages using the Verilog, VHDL, Tcl, Xdc, and Trigger State Machine subcategories.