The Vivado IP catalog displays either Included or Purchase under the License column in the IP catalog, and also provides a field on the status of the license. The following definitions apply to IP offered by Xilinx:
License Status: IP licenses can be Full (also know
as Purchased), Simulation, or
- Included: The Xilinx End User License Agreement applies to Xilinx LogiCORE™ IP cores that are licensed within the Xilinx Vivado Design Suite software tools at no additional charge.
- Purchase: The Core License Agreement applies to fee-based Xilinx LogiCORE IP, and the Core Evaluation License Agreement applies to the evaluation of fee-based Xilinx LogiCORE IP.
License Type: License types can be Floating or
- Certificate-based Network Floating Licenses and activation-based Server Licenses are locked to a license server host running the FLEX license server daemon. A license is checked out per unique user.
- Node-Locked or Client license is a license that is locked to a specific machine or, for certificate based-licenses, a dongle. As long as you do not replace your hard drive, the Disk Serial Number (Volume ID) is reliable to identify the Node.
- Other license levels include the following: Design_Linking, Hardware_Evaluation, and Full (Purchased).
For more information on how to obtain IP licenses, see the Xilinx IP Licensing site .
See this link for more information on licensing that is provided in the Vivado Design Suite User Guide: Release Notes, Installation, and Licensing (UG973).
Video: See the following: Vivado QuickTake Video: Vivado Activation and Floating License Generation and Vivado QuickTake Video: Vivado Licensing and Activation Overview for more licensing information.
For fee-based IP, the OK button on the Customize IP dialog box is disabled until an evaluation or a paid license is found, as shown in the following figure.
Figure 1. Fee-Based IP OK Button Enabled after License Found
Important: During implementation, the Vivado tools confirms that a license exists for the IP; consequently, you must regenerate the LogiCORE IP core for the core netlist to receive the current license status.