The Power Report is generated after routing to report details of power consumption based on the current operating conditions of the device and the switching rates of the design. Power analysis requires a synthesized netlist or a placed and routed design.
- Use the
set_operating_conditionscommand to set operating conditions.
- Use the
set_switching_activitycommand to define switching activity.
The Report Power command is available when a Synthesized Design or an Implemented Design is open.
The Power Report estimates power consumption based on design inputs, including:
- Thermal statistics, such as junction and ambient temperature values.
Note: You can set the junction temperature using the
-junction_tempoption of the
set_operating_conditioncommand. If you do not specify the temperature, the software computes it for you based on your design inputs.
- Data on board selection, including number of board layers and board temperature.
- Data on the selection of airflow and the head sink profile used by the design.
- Reporting the FPGA current requirements from the different power supply sources.
- Allowing detailed power distribution analysis to guide power saving strategies and to reduce dynamic, thermal or off-chip power.
- Simulation activity files can be used to make power estimation more accurate.Figure 1. Report Power Dialog Box