This block is listed in the following Xilinx® Blockset libraries: Control Logic, Floating-Point, Memory, and Index.
The Xilinx FIFO block implements an FIFO memory queue.
Values presented at the module's data-input port
are written to the next available empty memory location when the write-enable input is one. By
asserting the read-enable input port, data can be read out of the FIFO using the data output
dout) in the order in which they were written. The FIFO
can be implemented using block RAM, distributed RAM, SRL, or built-in FIFO.
full output port is asserted to one when no
unused locations remain in the module's internal memory. The
percent_full output port indicates the percentage of the FIFO that is full,
represented with user-specified precision. When the
output port is asserted the FIFO is empty.
The block parameters dialog box can be invoked by double-clicking the icon in your Simulink® model.
- Basic tab
Parameters specific to the Basic tab are as follows.
- FIFO Implementation
- Memory Type
This block implements FIFOs built from block RAM, distributed RAM, shift registers, or the 7 series built-in FIFOs. Memory primitives are arranged in an optimal configuration based on the selected width and depth of the FIFO. The following table provides best-use recommendations for specific design requirements.
Table 1. Memory Type Independent Clocks Common Clock Small Buffering Medium-Large Buffering High Performance Minimal Resources 7 Series, with Built-In FIFO X X X X X Block RAM X X X X X Shift Register X X X Distributed RAM X X X X
- Performance Options
- Standard FIFO
- FIFO will operate in Standard Mode.
- First Word Fall Through
- FIFO will operate in First-Word Fall-Through (FWFT) mode. The First-Word Fall-Through feature provides the ability to look-ahead to the next word available from the FIFO without issuing a read operation. When data is available in the FIFO, the first word falls through the FIFO and appears automatically on the output. FWFT is useful in applications that require low-latency access to data and to applications that require throttling based on the contents of the data that are read. FWFT support is included in FIFOs created with block RAM, distributed RAM, or built-in FIFOs in 7 series devices.
- Implementation Options
- Use Embedded Registers (when possible)
- In 7 series FPGA block RAM and FIFO macros, embedded output registers are available to increase performance and add a pipeline register to the macros. This feature can be leveraged to add one additional cycle of latency to the FIFO core (DOUT bus and VALID outputs) or implement the output registers for FWFT FIFOs. The embedded registers available in 7 series FPGAs can be reset (DOUT) to a default or user programmed value for common clock built-in FIFOs. See the topic Embedded Registers in block RAM and FIFO Macros in the LogiCORE IP FIFO Generator 12.0.
- Specifies the number of words that can be stored. Range 16K-4M.
- Bits of precision to use for %full signal
- Specifies the bit width of the %full port. The binary point for this unsigned output is always at the top of the word. Thus, if for example precision is set to one, the output can take two values: 0.0 and 0.5, the latter indicating the FIFO is at least 50% full.
- Optional Ports
- Provide reset port
- Add a reset port to the block.
- Reset Latency
- Creates a latency on the reset by adding registers. The default is 1.Note: For UltraScale™ devices, after the reset gets asserted, the FIFO will remain disable for the next 20 cycles. During this 20 cycle period, all read and write operations are ignored.
- Provide enable port
- Add enable port to the block.
- Provide data count port
- Add data count port to the block. Provides the number of words in the FIFO.
- Provide percent full port
- Add a percent full output port to the block. Indicates the percentage of the FIFO that is full using the user-specified precision. This optional port is turned on by default for backward compatibility reasons.
- Provide almost empty port
- Add almost empty (ae) port to the block.
- Provide almost full port
- Add almost efull (af) port to the block.
Following are some general guidelines to use Reset, Write enable, Read enable for the 'built-in FIFO' Memory type:
- 7 series devices
- Without Reset port, it is required to run at least 8 clock cycles latency before asserting WE/RE signals.
- With Reset port, it is required to run Reset signal ON for at least three
clock cycles. During this time no WE or RE signals should be asserted. To be consistent across
all built-in FIFO configurations, it is recommended to give reset pulse of at least five clock
After Reset de-assertion, run at least 30 clock cycles (reset duration +30 clock cycles duration is defined as a no access zone) before asserting WE/RE signals.
- UltraScale devices
- The built-in FIFO requires a reset pulse of at least one clock cycle.
- Versal Devices
- Read enable (
rd_en) and Write enable (
wr_en) signals can be made high only when
wr_rst_busysignals are low.
Other parameters used by this block are explained in the topic Common Options in Block Parameter Dialog Boxes.
LogiCORE IP FIFO Generator 12.0